– Supported by DFID- Nepal Office
Facilitate in developing LG restructuring process in Nepal that has wide involvement and ownership of the LGAs and stakeholders
- Create awareness about authority and responsibility of local government in the new Constitution
- Sensitize about key mandate of LLRC and process of LG restructuring to concerned stakeholders Engage stakeholders to take ownership of local restructuring process and its outcome
- Contribute and support LLRC in its task, to make it more inclusive, participatory and result oriented
The following strategy will be followed in order to achieve the objective:
- Networking among the LGAs, LLRC and stakeholders in the process at three sequenced stages (I) awareness building among the citizens and stakeholders for their active involvement in the process through dissemination of information on restructuring and its significance (ii) provide inputs to LLRC in developing legislative, organizational/management and financial areas relating to the new LGs as it is required by its TOR by way of engaging stakeholders and professionals in the process, and (iii) contribute in developing a guiding strategy and action plan for the transitioning as well as execution of the new LG system in Nepal.
- Strategically, the awareness building will receive the first focus as it is linked with the LLRC planned activities for local consultations for restructuring, while, concurrently, preparatory initiatives on the policy components will also be initiated.
- The activities relating to the transition preparation will be undertaken as part of the policy components design.
- In order for effectiveness of the program and value additions, the program will be joint undertaking of the three LGAs and they will represent collectively at the LLRC on program areas.
- LGAs will link and draw upon the expertise from professional organizations specifically the Civic Alliance for Local Democracy (CALD) and Nepal Law Society (NLS). The selected experts will be engaged in preparation of sensitization materials, thematic discourses and consultations at the districts. This will add value to the content development and discourses as well as provide credence due to the presence of senior experts.