National Association of Village Development Committees in Nepal (NAVIN) was established with main aims to policy advocacy, capacity building and Strengthening Networks of VDC. It is an umbrella organization to represent and provide support to Nepal’s 3157 Village Development Committees (VDCs).
According to its Charter (NAVIN Bidhan, 2055), the core mandates of NAVIN are:
- Policy lobby advocacy for democratic, inclusive, autonomous and functional local governments accountable to the people.
- Address Policy environment supportive to local self-governance and interest of VDCs effectively,
- Development as per the principle of multiparty democracy, decentralization and local self-governance
- Coordination and sharing of experiences, best practices among VDCs for the overall development of rural communities,
- Strengthening and mobilization of all VDCs for timely, effective, efficient and quality services to general populace in a transparent and accountable manner.
- Policy advocacy for formulation of Local Self Governance Act 2055 with mulit forum and supporting for implementation at local level.
- Represent in various GoN’s commission for policy advocacy and ensure benefit to local people.
Capacity Building of Local Governments
- Protection and expansion of rights and interests of Village government (VDCs) as local self government,
- Coordination and sharing of experiences, best practices among VDCs for the overall development of rural communities
- Mobilization of resources for VDCs and provide necessary skill oriented and capacity development training for them
- Technical support for preparation of periodic village profiles and orient VDC official and stakeholders.
- Orient VDCs official, LSP, Political party, civic society and stakeholders Bal Maitrai Stahniya Sashan 2068, VDC Block Grant, and directive issued by MoFALD with technical and financial support of UINCEF Nepal and LGCDP.
- ToT provided on adaptation to climate change to the VDC Official, civic society, GoN line agencies office and Stakeholders with technical and financial support of ADB and ICIMOD with Practical Action.
- Publication of Resource material strengthening federalism and local governance, quarterly magazine on con current issues.
- NAVIN has been able to establish itself, both nationally and internationally, as a reputable representative organization of VDCs and has founded itself as a partner organization in decentralization reform process in Nepal.
- Currently Navin has representing an umbrella organization 3157 Village Development Committees (VDCs) of Nepal.
- To empower VDCs by representing and promoting their interests and strengthening their institutional capacity for decentralized local self-governance and effective service delivery to the people.
- Platform for raising and exchanging VDCs’ issues and problems.